Friday, October 24, 2008

Six Random Things

Yay, VP tagged me!! It's been a few days since I posted and I've been missing from cyberland overall (very exciting things happening in my life...keep an eye out for my next post and all will be revealed!). Anyway, here's my response:

1. Post the rules on your blog
2. Blog 6 random things about yourself
3. Tag 6 people at the end of your post
4. If you're tagged, DO IT and pass on the tag Six Random Things

1. I LOVE strawberries. They are by far the queen of all things fruity. How can you resist their plump redness? And the taste - yum! My sister and I always wanted my mom to buy us strawberries year round and never understood how expensive they were in Southwestern PA out of season. To this day, every time I have them I consider it a treat.

2. I just finished participating in an Allergy Study here at my hospital. I joined it b/c one of my nursing directors was doing it, and I figured the extra cash couldn't hurt. The study was for people who are allergic to ragweed, and I had to take the medicine daily for almost six months. At the initial visit, I found out I was allergic to cats, grass, dust mites, and ragweed. The study was fine, but the medicine tasted horrible and I had a really hard time forcing myself to take it every morning. But - now I think I probably had the actual medicine and not the placebo b/c ever since the study ended, my allergies have been terrible!

3. I am very big on family traditions. My favorite day of the entire year is Christmas Eve. My entire life, we've always spent the early evening with very, very close family friends and then gone to mass. After church, we head to my paternal grandparents' house to eat and exchange gifts with that entire side of my family. I am extremely close to my cousins on that side of the family, and we always sit upstairs and sing Christmas carols and stare at the presents and yell at the "adults" to come upstairs.

4. Okay, I'm kind of cheating, as this kind of relates to my last random thing, but it's my blog, so there! The other Christmas Eve tradition we have is that my Grandma always buys all of the cousins a set of pajamas. After the gifts are opened, we all change into our PJs and lounge around in them before wearing them home. Last summer, my sister, my cousin and her boyfriend, and I all went to Orlando to visit my other cousin. My Grandma sent summer PJs with my sister for all of us to open, along with really funny (and rather uncharacteristic) notes. We loved it!

5. I have a "thing" for textures. I love to touch things and to pet materials. When I first started at my current job, I would always pet peoples' clothing if the material looked smooth or unusual. Okay, by pet, I mean I would just feel the material. This was completely normal for me - my friends and I have done this to one another for years. However, my co-workers thought (and still think) it was hilarious. Over three years later, they've finally gotten used to it, but they still occasionally refer to me as "The Petter!"

6. I have a fairly recent weakness for handbags. Four years ago I took my first trip to NYC and totally got sucked into the scandalous, illegal purse buying on Canal Street. It was the most thrilling thing! We would go into a stall selling jewelry, mention we were looking for Coach, and the little man would make sure his lookout was posted before opening up the back wall and letting us into the secret room, covered with designer imposter bags. Amazing!! After our first purchase, we had our booty encased in the plain black plastic bags (we call these "scandal bags"). These carriers identified us to all of the other salespeople as purse-buyers, and we couldn't walk four steps without being propositions.

Okay, now I have to tag 6 people, and I don't have a lot of blog friends so here goes:
Andi
Szia! Robyn
jellybean
Shades
CruelShoes
Kristen & Seth

4 comments:

Cupcake Blonde said...

I loved your answers! I agree about the strawberries, something about them makes me so happy. They and bananas are my favorite fruit. Starwberries and bananas on ice cream, heaven!

I witnessed the mayhem of the Canal Street knock-offs when I was in NY but did not purchase any. I have a thing about the linings of purses being swen into the bottom of the bag and a lot of the knock-offs aren't so I can't stand them. Which is silly I know, but one of the many random things that make me insane. :)

Courtney said...

There was a lot of that knock-off craziness in Florence when I visited Italy. It was crazy! You were accosted all over the place with guys trying to sell you illegal stuff. The best part was watching them pack it all up and run whenever they saw the policia coming!

Robin said...

I love that you included purses in 6 random things about you! We need another trip!

Steelers Wine Girl said...

VP - I agree, the purses are not the highest quality...it's the scandalous way that we buy them that gives me a thrill!!

Courtney - the only thing that was similar on my experience was seeing the much smaller offerings in Times Square...and the prices were way higher (I guess due to increased risk??)

Robin - I know!!! It's been forever since we were there, and we had such a blast!